Tuesday, January 16, 2018

4. Get the Title “CFO” at Work

Growing up I always thought I’d be a doctor, nurse, radiologist... something in the medical field. So right after high school I went to college. Let’s just say that that ended up not working out but I did realize that science was definitely not my thing.  I ended up dropping out and just working as a server  at numerous restaurants around town. Nothing super exciting, I’m talking Old Chicago and Perkins. I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life. After my tenure as a server I explored working at an animal clinic, being an orthodontic assistant, and a cheer coach. None of those really worked out and I didn’t exactly enjoy them. At this point, I was recently married and if I knew one thing about myself I KNEW I wanted to be a mom. So we did it. We got pregnant easily and it was decided that I was going to be a stay at home mom. That was until I got a call from a small medical practice wanting to interview me for a medical billing and coding position. I had zero experience and not much drive but I decided to go anyways. Long story short, I got the job. At 13 weeks pregnant I began the very beginning of my career. About two years into this position, I was offered a position there as an accounting clerk. I had never done accounting and had no clue what I was getting myself into but it was more money and more experience. Since I was now a mom of two kids under two, I took the position head on. From there I decided it was time to get my degree. I enrolled in school and started taking classes. As it turns out, I was pretty good at accounting too! Another two years passed and I landed another position as a staff accountant. At this position I was able to work closely with the CFO and learn so much valuable information. Fast forward to 2017, I was coming to the end of my degree plan and graduation was approaching. I was getting burnt out on the staff accountant gig so I very randomly began searching for a new position. When I came across most positions that were appealing to me I was under qualified; so I didn’t apply. Then one day I saw a posting for a Director of Finance position that I actually qualified for. So I applied, not thinking much. To my surprise I was called in for an interview and then again for the second round. When I was offered the position I was so excited!! This was my dream!

Fast forward three months later, I am loving my new position. It’s challenging and rewarding. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and definitely fills my soul with all the right things. Because I’m such a goal setter and always trying to be better I now have my eye on another career milestone: getting the title CFO. Obviously this is a HUGE step but I’ve been speaking with the folks around me and my leadership team and it definitely seems feasible! So here’s to new goals, new milestones and hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment