Monday, June 17, 2013

Homemade Colorado Green Chili {Recipe}

This weekend I made Colorado Green Chili for the first time. Our parents both make it all the time but we never tried. I decided I want to make it since it was C's first fathers day and he loves two things: Green chili and breakfast. So my plan was to make it on Friday so on Saturday we would have it for breakfast since on Sunday we were going out with my in-laws for breakfast.

When I told C I was going to blog about it, he thought I was crazy. I made my case by telling him that I could not find a good recipe online at all. Which is true. I checked pinterest and I googled it and did not find out. I played it mostly by ear but here it goes.

What You Will Need:
7-10 roasted green chilis
4-6 roma tomatoes
1 jalapeño 
1 can chicken broth
2tbs flour
2tbs butter
Corn Starch
Garlic Salt
1 large onion
Water
1lb pork-chopped

Servse about 8


In a a big soup pan, melt 2tbs of butter. Once it is completely melted add the flour. This creates a rou that adds much flavor. Next you will add the pork. Stir. Cook the pork until it is completely done. While doing this, I usually chop the tomatoes, onion, jalapeño and chili’s. Once the pork is fully cooked I add in the items I just chopped up.



You will let that cook together for about 5-10 minutes with the lid on letting all the flavors come together. I’m a big fan of seasoning as you go. I always use garlic salt and pepper but found that if you add Cheyenne pepper, seasoning salt, paprika and onion powder you get more flavor. 



Add the chicken broth and water. Season some more. Here is where you will thicken it with a little corn startch. I usually use 2-4 tbs mixed with a little water before adding. This prevents the corn startch from clumping. Mix it in. Let boil.

Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low and let simmer for atleast an hour. The longer it simmers the more flavor it will have.

Enjoy!



Our favorites to eat with Green Chili:
Smothered Burritos
Chili Rellanos
Just with a tortilla and cheese
With eggs and hash browns

9 comments:

  1. just made this tonite and it was a dream it was so good ! I made two batches, one without meat, I am vegetarian and it came out wonderful. I cut the meat in half though. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOO glad you like it!!! We are also making it tonight!

    We only use the meat for flavor. We dont eat it either! Good to know it is good without.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must try this thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am making as I am typing...I hope it comes out good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When do the tomatoes go in?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fail. Sorry, but how can you call this Colorado Green Chile when you use Hatch green chiles??? Use Pueblo (CO) green chiles - more flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true!! Pueblo chili's is way better and if you add chicken broth in place of 1-2 cups of water!!! Mmhmm coming from a Puebloan! :)

      Delete
  7. If I dont have hatch chili's what can I use instead

    ReplyDelete
  8. So what do you do with the Pork?? I REALLY hope you don't throw it out!!

    ReplyDelete